Virgin Olive Oil - Carrier Oil In HempMy Pet™ products
Organic virgin olive oil originating from olive trees, is abundantly filled with essential beneficial ingredients for animals (1). Virgin olive oil incorporates phytonutrients, vitamin E, and plenty of omega-3 fatty acids into your dog’s diet (6).
Daily administration of pure cold-pressed virgin olive oil to animals can benefit their cardiovascular system by serving as a healthy dietary fat (1). Virgin olive oil is a wealthy source of omega-3-fatty acids that provide moisture to the skin to maintain its softness and shiny coat and helps keep the skin from flaking, especially in dry winter months (5 and 6). Another valuable attribute of virgin olive oil has been its capability to boost plasma levels of high-density lipoproteins and reduce levels of low-density lipoproteins which can lead to a buildup of plaque in the arteries and oxidative stress (3). Raising the levels of high-density lipoproteins also protects animals from oxidative stress and prevents blood from clotting or blocking arterial pathways (3). Virgin olive oil contains over 100 diverse proteins that serve to protect the cardiovascular system and is safe to consume over extended periods of time as long as appropriate dosing is applied (3). Administering olive oil to dogs as part of their diet can alter their fatty acid profile to increase the levels of oleic acid and di-homo-gamma-linolenic acid which is an essential nutrient that the body does not produce on its own and must be consumed as part of their diet (4). A healthier heart can lead to an increase in lifespan by decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and excess weight gain (5)
Virgin olive oil is full of phenolic compounds due to the miniscule refinement process of cold-pressing olives (1). Cold-pressing breaks up the whole olive into little pieces that will naturally separate the olives from their oil without heating the olives and damaging their nutritional content such as antioxidants (1). Virgin olive oil is less acidic compared to olive oil which eases the process of digestion (6). Due to a shorter refinement process, virgin olive oil contains a larger antioxidant profile to combat free radical damage compared to olive oil (1 and 6). Some companies may choose to use the cold pressing method and then add additional oils such as palm oil to decrease the cost of production. However, the growth and production of palm oil comes with an expensive price tag on the environment through deforestation and eradication of endangered animal’s homes (2).
HempMy Pet™ intentionally chooses to use certified organic, sustainably sourced pure cold-pressed virgin olive oil meaning that no other oil is added to the product that may dilute the purity of the product. HempMy Pet™ utilizes certified organic virgin olive oil as a carrier oil in our 5,000 mg full-spectrum hemp-infused virgin olive oil product. Full-spectrum hemp means that the entire plant is consumed in the product and includes bioavailable nutrients such as cannabinoids (CBD, CBG, and CBC), flavonoids, tetrahydrocannabinol under (0.3%), and terpenes (7). When combining all of these ingredients, they produce the “entourage effect” in the body which is known to strengthen its therapeutic potential on animals and humans (8). HempMy Pet™’s proprietary cultivar Cherry Abacus and the derived extract are all cultivar specific and full of bioactive, human grade, and vegan ingredients that are beneficial for animals. HempMy Pet™ goes the extra mile to obtain certified organic and sustainably sourced virgin olive oil, with accompanying certifications so customers know exactly where the oil is originating from and they can feel good about minimizing any long-term impact. All batches are third party analyzed and tested to ensure purity, potency and safety for every pet.
HempMy Pet™’s certified organic virgin olive oil can be utilized as an equine formula for horses or as a more affordable option for a large multi-dog household. The equine formula comes with an easy to use pump top that dispenses .5 cc per pump which is approximately 20 mg. HempMy Pet™’s organic virgin olive oil can be administered orally, whether you choose to add to your Pet’s food, treats, or simply allow them to lick it out of your hand. It’s really up to your Pet, as they all seem to have differing preferences. HempMy Pet™’s full-spectrum formula can be used on an everyday basis to promote emotional care and wellbeing, in a time of stress or anxiousness, or just when your animal is feeling down. We recommend that any supplement pet owners are giving to their furry companions to be approved and communicated to their veterinarian.
- Covas, M. I., de la Torre, R., & Fitó, M. (2015). Virgin olive oil: a key food for cardiovascular risk protection. The British journal of nutrition, 113 Suppl 2, S19–S28. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114515000136
- Vijay, V., Pimm, S. L., Jenkins, C. N., & Smith, S. J. (2016). The Impacts of Oil Palm on Recent Deforestation and Biodiversity Loss. PloS one, 11(7), e0159668. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0159668
- Pedret, A., Catalán, Ú., Fernández-Castillejo, S., Farràs, M., Valls, R. M., Rubió, L., Canela, N., Aragonés, G., Romeu, M., Castañer, O., de la Torre, R., Covas, M. I., Fitó, M., Motilva, M. J., & Solà, R. (2015). Impact of Virgin Olive Oil and Phenol-Enriched Virgin Olive Oils on the HDL Proteome in Hypercholesterolemic Subjects: A Double Blind, Randomized, Controlled, Cross-Over Clinical Trial (VOHF Study). PloS one, 10(6), e0129160. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0129160
- Campbell, K. L., & Dorn, G. P. (1992). Effects of oral sunflower oil and olive oil on serum and cutaneous fatty acid concentrations in dogs. Research in veterinary science, 53(2), 172–178. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-5288(92)90106-c
- Tumola, C. (2018, June 14). How Can Olive Oil Benefit My Pet? Retrieved November 05, 2020, from https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/world/how-can-olive-oil-benefit-my-pet/63457
- Sailer, C. (2019, May 13). Can My Dog Eat Olive Oil? 4 Reasons to Add Olive Oil to Your Dog’s Diet. Retrieved November 05, 2020, from https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-eat-olive-oil/
- Vigil, J. M., Montera, M. A., Pentkowski, N. S., Diviant, J. P., Orozco, J., Ortiz, A. L., Rael, L. J., & Westlund, K. N. (2020). The Therapeutic Effectiveness of Full Spectrum Hemp Oil Using a Chronic Neuropathic Pain Model. Life (Basel, Switzerland), 10(5), 69. https://doi.org/10.3390/life10050069
- Terpenes and the “Entourage Effect”. (n.d.). Retrieved November 05, 2020, from https://www.projectcbd.org/science/terpenes-and-entourage-effect